Friday, March 7, 2014

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (with broad spectrum SPF 15) Review

Prepare yourself... Prime your face! There I said it. You have been officially advised to Prime Your Face.

Priming is probably the most often skipped step in most people's makeup routine. Most people do it or they don't. Some people only prime when they need some extra wear out of their makeup, like for weddings and special events.

But why on earth wouldn't you want extra wear and all the yummy benefits of a great primer on a daily basis? Its like a two second extra step for - in the case of a really good primer - lots and lots of benefit!

I never used to prime, but I have my reasons. I tried so many. Some of the best really. Bare Minerals Prime Time, NARS Pro-Prime Primer, MAC Prep and Prime, Smashbox Photo Finish (regular, light and blemish control versions), even Urban Decay De-Slick spray and All Nighter spray, both under AND over my foundation. I always, always, always got some breakouts when I used any kind of primer.

Breaking out after using a primer is the start of a vicious cycle: get breakout- need primer- need makeup to hide breakouts- get more breakouts...you get the idea.

However, once I found the right primer for my skin I have not stopped using it and I use it every day any kind of makeup is going on my face, with. out. fail.

The right primer acts as a barrier between the gorgeous skincare you apply and the gorgeous makeup you apply. Makeup which sometimes clogs pores, unfortunately. But fear not! Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer will save you! (tosses superhero cape over shoulder)


photocredit: hourglass website

Since I started using this primer about 6 months ago I have not had a single makeup related breakout. In fact, the only breakouts I've gotten are hormone/that time of the month related. And even still, those are rare.

So, this primer applies white and then dries matte and invisible. Alone on the skin it blurs lines and pores. Then, your usual foundation or, my personal new favorite, a tinted moisturizer, on top ices the cake nicely. I even apply it over my eyelids and under my eyes for extra oomph. It is mineral based AND water resistant- perfect for the coming warmer months. And talk about good for you? It is paraben free, sulfate free, phthalates free, synthetic dye and fragrance free, oil free and gluten free!

Lets talk staying power: it is makeup glue. I have combination skin with a VERY oily T-Zone and this stuff helps my makeup stay strong from 7AM when I apply it on the train until 7PM when I finally take it off at home. I'm running to catch trains in New York Penn Station, running to get my baby girl from day care and running from the subway to my office in Manhattan. Lots of running around and I don't have the time or energy to check my makeup periodically, I need to know it looks flawless all the time and it does.

PS Its also got a tiny SPF 15 benefit which is always nice.

Next time you're in your favorite makeup shopping happy place ask for a sample. Its worth a try. Leave a comment if you do and let me know how you get on with it. Then you too will always Prime Your Face!

xoxo
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment