Wednesday, March 26, 2014

First Impressions Review: Benefit They're Real Mascara

I am a true lover of mascara. I would say even more than lip gloss. I know, I know. The horror. But it's true! I could go without lipgloss and use plain lip balm and look pretty much the same. However, once you add a couple of coats with that amazing wand of wonder (in the case of a good mascara), instant POW!

I have short-ish lashes but they have a nice natural curl to them and when I add mascara they look long AND curly, without the help of a lash curler.

I have tried tons and tons of mascaras, from the higher end Lancome and Giorgio Armani to the mid range like Benefit and Bare Minerals down to the drugstore favorites by Maybelline, Revlon and L'Oreal.

My personal, holy grail, can't live without, never fails me mascara is L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. Its a drugstore brand, affordable (especially if you've got a coupon) and it consistently delivers amazing results.

But as a self professed beauty addict, I love to try new things. Eyeshadow, polish, lip products and especially mascara! So, even though I have my tried and true favorite, I inevitably find myself in the aisles of Target with TWO handfuls of different mascaras I'm dying to try because of other people's rave reviews.

I tend to keep shooting myself in the foot (or the eye, as it were) and trying Maybelline and Revlon mascaras even though I KNOW they just don't work for me. Dang you Fleur De Force and Miss Glamorazzi for your rave reviews and usually spot on opinions!

I received my sample of Benefit's They're Real mascara in my Birchbox a while back but never got around to using it. 

For those of you who don't know what Birchbox is, stop reading right now and go sign up. It's a monthly subscription service that sends around 5 samples each month, beautifully packaged. That little pink box is my mid-month pick me up! 

Anywho, I've been trying the mascara for the past two days and I LOVE IT! The formula is on the creamier side, less watery than some. It adds a lot of volume and curl and I get zero smudging and very little flaking (disclaimer: the minor flaking may be due in part to the fact that I apply at least two coats...sometimes more. I've never been one to do things half way, hehehe).

The wand has this little spiky mace like weapon on the tip that is perfect for grabbing and lifting those little tiny lashes in the inner corner and on the bottom. It also grabs the outer corner lashes nicely. Take THAT tiny lashes!
photocredit: sephora.com

I very well may purchase the full size product when the sample is done. Unless, of course, I find another mascara I "must" try.

Leave a comment below if you've tried the Benefit They're Real mascara and let me know how you liked it. If not, let me know what your Holy Grail, Can't Live Without It mascara is and I might have to give it a try!

*winks with long lashes*
xoxo
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment